Monday, May 31, 2010

Riding the waves on a butterflies wings...


...or hanging on to a spiders web for dear life?


I’ve come to the conclusion that much of my project to-date has been in regards to trying to network myself.  As discussed in earlier posts being an insider at one time provides me with the background information, but being so far removed given time and space, I’ve essentially had to begin with one contact and work my way to three.  I have several supporters amongst individuals I know who were once involved in the organization but they do not want to join any kind of “web” or group at this time.  And they are not keen to provide any other names…yet. 

I have spent some time recently reviewing one of the SWSP7123 course readings “Complexity and the Well-Connected Community” by A. Gilchrist.  Although, I had read it once before earlier in the semester, reading this time many passages and or phrases seemed to finally strike a cord!  For instance, the notion that “networking is a holistic process, involving a strategic interweaving of knowledge, skills and values….” (Gilchrist 2004, p. 85).  I’ve always looked at networking as a skill and a necessary part of life, but I have never considered the values aspect of it all.  But now can see that through networking each of us ends up sharing our values, inferring values on the way we speak to one another, whom we speak to and the importance or value of the conversation we are having.  Our values and what we see as valuable undermines nearly every action, from initial eye contact and that first handshake, to a farewell embrace with a close friend. 

A further point of interest for me was reviewing Complexity Theory, which states that “complexity arises as ‘a result of a rich interaction of simple elements that only respond to the limited information each of them are present with’” (Cillars in Gilchrist 2004, p.87). It further touches on the notion that these complex theories are open, and are affected by wider actions—think the Butterfly effect.  Given the struggles I’ve been having in making connections with the King County 4-H organization, perhaps by simply putting myself in these positions where I’m conversing with individuals (primarily via email) will be enough to push them to action, rather than simply sitting on their hand waiting for something to occur.  Perhaps, that is all that is needed—me asking questions!?  Maybe that is the butterfly wing in motion causing ripples.  Who knows, but it is a nice way to think about things after several months of frustration and true uncertainty in oneself and ones ability to make change.  The idea of being only one person comes to mind, but there are so many examples of a single person changing the course of history…can I perhaps be that voice for King County 4-H, can I be that butterfly wing?
Gilchrist, A. (2004) The well-connected community: a networking approach to community development, Bristol, UK: The Policy Press, 2004 pp.85-95

No comments:

Post a Comment