Monday, May 17, 2010

Lurkers! (and what it means to this project blog)



I've wanted to discuss this issue for sometime but unfortunately am just getting to it.  I have noticed that in regards to this project, many of my fellow classmates are struggling with similar issues:  How do we get people to participate and/or follow our blogs?  Are our blogs meant for the public to participate in?  What are the ethical implications of posting personal messages that have been exchanged via email or written text?  What are the ethical implications of simply discussing our fears regarding the overall project in a very public forum and space? And what are the realities of web-based community action/research, etc?
A couple of weeks ago, in my Qualitative Research Practices course we covered the topic of the internet as an overall research tool.  I’ve found that much of what was covered in the course really applied to our course blogs (this blog) as well!
One particular slide covered, when we should used the internet and it made me think about some of our projects and whether or not utilizing a blog is really appropriate given some of us are dealing with people who are incredibly uncomfortable with the internet, do not trust it and really, we can access them through other mediums such as letters, emails (not a blog or social networking site).  We should consider who our projects are geared towards and what we hope to achieve through our projects then decide whether or not using the many resources the internet has to offer in the ways of social networking and communication is appropriate.  In my particular case it is very appropriate and is actually something that although many people are afraid of utilizing discussion boards and social networking sites, communication has been done primarily via email. However, the organization I am working with, King County 4-H, is aimed at youth and encouraging them to utilize their skills, many of the adults overseeing the projects and programs while well versed in email, are very fearful of social networking sites and the ‘control’ aspect of what is being put out there.  They also do not want to create any sort of panic, given children’s well beings are at stake.
One other interesting note on when we should use the internet is when researchers have the time and skills.  When they do not, it is not necessarily encouraged as a primary source of communication with your constituency base.  This is what I and it seems all of you (my peers) are dealing with.  We simply do not have the time with to keep up with a blog, to make it interesting and to really research out various ways of conveying our thoughts and our message to a greater audience, in an interactive and engaging way!  At least I don’t.  I can honestly say, not having the time has put me in tears—and I feel I’ve not been able to do justice to this project or to the maintaining of an interesting blog. 
Concerns over data safety are high as well.  Given much of what I’m discussing is not necessarily available to the general public, it is quite difficult to distinguish which emails I can post (I’ve decided on quotations plucked from emails, without reference, but notification to those who’s words I’ve used).  Last week, I received a response on my blog and project plan from the County Extension Agent I’ve been in contact with.  Although, Facebook and discussion boards are not on the agenda yet, I’m still pushing for one (a discussion board primarily) in order to help conversations flow between busy people.  However, at the organizational level, no one is willing to begin conversations of a sensitive nature even face to face until financial matters of the organization are released in June.  This is the time when they want to begin conversations and start working on building a community and network of support and will consider my ideas further, but they are still unlikely to utilize the internet at least for any sort of youth based engagement. 
And a final concern of mine has been over the lack of people engaging in our blogs.  Although, the intention of my blog is meant to be exclusively reflective of my experiences within SWSP7123 and the implementation of my project with King County 4-H, I have been put on to some of my “friends” and “acquaintances” whom I know to have a connection to 4-H in general and may have some interest.  However, because you have to join many are not apt to “follow.”  Instead many have opted to become what is referred to by Kazinets (presented in Qualitative Lecture Wk9) as Tourists (also sometimes referred to as Lurkers (those that are “publicly silent participants)…some are Minglers (and may leave a comment but will not join).  As classmates, many of us are following a few blogs, which has relinquished us to become Insiders, while some of you may have Devotees (and if you do please share your methods). 
All of this just struck me that although work as been done, thinking about the appropriateness of a blog to our projects (outside of the required coursework) and whether it is worthwhile to pursue has consumed my thought.  We are all Lurkers, and pick and choose how active to be.  With the medium of a blog, we may have individuals interested in what we are saying, but may never know given the context surrounding internet use and lack of ability to follow up with them!  It has blown my mind a bit to think this and has been somewhat discouraging and encouraging at the same time.  Heck, I may be reaching people with my incredulous amount of BS but maybe not?
How do you feel about this?
-Alex

References:

Flame Eye Picture [Image].  Retrieved May 17, 2010, from       www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/11298eyes5.jpg

Mayall, M. (2010).  Week 8, The Internet: Research Context, Research Tool [Powerpoint Slides]. Unpublished Manuscript, SOCY7049, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Australia. 

4 comments:

  1. The above post was simultaneously posted on the University of Queensland SWSP7123 (Sem. 1, 2010) Blackboard Discussion Board.

    Received great feedback from both the individuals who commented. I'm positive that I'm not alone in my concerns, usage and overall blog feelings. It's also great to gain alternative insights from those whom are a bit more entrenched and experienced with blogging and overall internet medium as tools of engagement.

    Yay!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, I have same feeling on my blog. My approach is to take proactive action and start to comment on the blogs that look relevant to my topic, working with young people with refugee background. I find many school fellows create a very good blog with few vistors. It is a pity that our assignments give us limited time to read other blogs. If you do have a time,please visit my blog 'http://wersidebyside.blogspot.com/'. All the best to you, Ada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,
    I'm not using my blog as a communication forum with all of the stakeholders involved in the project. I am dealing primarily with 2 sorts of stakeholders -those who are already representing larger groups/ organisation, and then those individuals who have an interest in the project. The project at this stage isn't involving the individuals, and my role currently is more as a facilitator, someone who brings the larger parties/ organisations together. When i want to speak to the individuals interested in the project and get their feedback and input via surveys i'll utilise my blog more. For the time being i haven't been informing representatives from the larger organisations of the blog as i feel it detracts from its legitimacy and professionalism. I think my posts regarding my personal experience and 'journey' with the project aren't important for the large organisations involvement. In sharing this 'journey' as part of my course i am also writing comments about the said stakeholders which they don't need to hear!
    I appreciate your concern with the blog and feel for my project it would be better to have 2 separate forums for the 2 types of stakeholders.
    Well thats my thought anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex,

    I share your concerns about this as well. I am only just beginning to get a glimpse into the type of comfort Lynda had discussed re content control on a blog vs on fb or a similar medium, and even then, that comfort comes at a significant delay after adding a post. In terms of my blog, I find that it is being used more as an information source for participants. Face-to-face or phone conversations and emails are still the preferred mode of communication for people involved in my project and the comments I have received so far are from people I have existing relationships with.

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete